Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Thandie Kay New Beauty Blog

Actress Thandie Newton and make-up artist Kay Montano met 8 years ago on a shoot for UK Vogue. 

Since then a strong friendship has grown out of countless professional collaborations in fashion, beauty, red carpet, on stage and screen.

Thandie says:
I was coming out of a chrysalis when I met Kay - personally. I'd reached a point where I'd taken commando of my life as a successful women. That's no easy task in a high profile profession where women are continually objectified, and where women of color struggle to get a foothold in the mainstream.

My epiphany came when I realized that I had been holding myself back - by allowing the mainstream to define and determine who I was. Once out of that packing order I felt liberated, ecstatic, and keen to shift the ground for other people who might feel similarly trapped.

Kay says:
Being a make-up artist from the age of 16 has given me a lot of access to 'the beautiful people' and I've earned my living collaborating in a rarefied and often bizarre world. This has been a most valuable vantage point for what 'beautiful' does, and doesn't mean. Beneath the myths I've helped create, I've learned a lot about gold pots at the end of the rainbows because I've polished, painted and gilded them. Although successful, it was never a place I felt much belonging, but meeting and getting to know Thandie has coincided with, and cemented a belief that beauty can be more of an inclusive word, bigger and kinder than most media might suggest. I have to say that Thandie's epiphany is also mine. Make-up can mask, enhance, and disguise. It can accentuate the good or the bad, can be obvious or invisible. I can be used to erase or embrace culture diversity, perhaps even be a self-affirming ritual of our growing years.

Thankie & Kay's promise to you:
ThandieKay is about liberation, celebration and living life to the full. That starts with you. You are radiant, beautiful and full of bright potential. We want to share in the positive energy that awareness can bring, and have fun exploring the many aspect of all our sassy selves, inside and out.

Beauty = Life = Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment